Hamrun, Qormi through to U*BET FA Trophy quarter-finals

Hamrun Spartans reached the quarter-finals of the U*BET FA Trophy after defeating First Division leaders Marsaxlokk 1-0.

The Spartans lacked a number of players including Mark Anthony Bonnici, Jonathan Holland, Timothy Fleri Soler and Diego Cucciardi. On the other hand, Gareth Sciberras was missing for Marsaxlokk.

Hamrun had a better start and following a cross from the left, Ian Zammit controlled before unleashing a powerful low shot which was neutralised by Marsaxlokk goalie Glenn Zammit on 11 minutes. The Southseasiders replied with a shot by Dylan Kokavessis, served by Roderick Bajada from the left, which was blocked by a defender six minutes later. A Peter Pullicino effort was parried by Casha on 24 minutes and two minutes later, following a Martin Deanov corner, William Camenzuli hit high from outside the area.

The Spartans were unlucky not to take the lead on 34 minutes when off a Clyde Camoin freekick, Gaetan Spiteri hit the upright from close range and off the rebound, Joao Mawete hit incredibly high. Two minutes later, Roderick Bajada served Martin Deanov outside the area but the latter’s low shot was parried by the Hamrun custodian.

Hamrun took the lead on 41 minutes when off a corner from the left by Clyde Camoin, the ball was blocked by a defender and Gaetan Spiteri tapped the ball home from close range off the rebound.

Martin Hrubsa blocked into a corner a cross by Peter Pullicino from the right and in added time, a rising shot by Florent Raimy from the right was parried by Ivan Casha.

After the break, Marsaxlokk held the initiative, going close with a Roderick Bajada effort after a corner by Martin Deanov was blocked by a defender on 49 minutes. Seven minutes later, Dylan Kokavesis concluded a good run on the right with a shot which ended just wide.

On 76 minutes, Roderick Fenech came to the rescue blocking a powerful drive by Florent Raimy from outside the area. Finally, William Camenzuli hit high following a cross from the right

In the remaining minutes, the Spartans’ defence controlled their opponents well to make sure of reaching the quarter-finals.

Photos: Copyright © www.stephengatt.com

M’XLOKK Glenn Zammit, Martin Deanov, Peter Pullicino (54’ Leighton Grech), Malcolm Licari, William Camenzuli, Clive Brincat, Rumen Galabov, Roderick Bajada (76’ David Carabott), Dylan Kokavessis (60’ Trevor Templeman), Emil Yantchev, Florent Raimy.
Subs not used: Reuben Debono, Gary Caruana, Jean Claude Vella.
Coach: Patrick Curmi Asst. Coach: Etienne Mercieca

HAMRUN Ivan Casha, Lee James Agius (84’ Mark Barbara), Roderick Fenech, Manolito Micallef, Rupert Mangion, Marcelo Pereira, Gaetan Spiteri, Martin Hrubsa, Joao Mawete (82’ Mead Mifsud), Clyde Camoin, Ian Zammit.
Subs not used: Andrea Cassar, Aaron Attard, Mauro Busuttil, Neville Galea, Kyle Calleja.
Coach: Steve D’Amato Asst. Coach: Marco Grech

Referee: Marco Borg
Assistant Referees: Ingmar Spiteri, Gordon Barbara
Fourth Official: Kevin Azzopardi
Yellow Cards: C. Brincat, G. Spiteri, M. Licari

In the second game, Alfred Effiong notched a hat-trick in just four minutes to help Qormi turn defeat into victory, beating First Division side St. Patrick 5-1.

Matthew Farrugia, Massimo Grima, Stephen Wellman and Ryan Deguara started on the bench for Qormi. The Saints, on the other hand, lacked Thomas Caruana and Simon Zerafa.

St. Patrick took the lead on 14 minutes when Gordon Failla sent Daniel Milovanovic through and the latter advanced into the area before beating Matthew Camilleri with a rising shot.

On 22 minutes, Alfred Effiong released Matthew Bartolo on the right and off the latter’s pass, Camilo Da Silva Sanvezzo’s close range shot was deflected into a corner. A freekick by Stefan Giglio was saved in two attempts by James Mercieca on the half-hour. Three minutes later, following a cross from the right, Alfred Effiong went close with a fine header which was saved by the St. Patrick goalkeeper.

Six minutes in the second half, Camilo missed a good chance heading just wide off a cross from the right by Alfred Effiong. Five minutes later, Camilo failed to connect off an intelligent pass by Ramon Dos Santos. On 57 minutes, a fine shot by the Brazilian striker was turned into a corner by James Mercieca.

From the resulting corner by Massimo Grima, Camilo Da Silva Sanvezzo served substitute Steve Meilak whose rising shot from the left beat the St. Patrick goalkeeper to equalise.

Qormi forged ahead on 68 minutes when off a cross by Duncan Pisani, Alfred Effiong hit home from close range.

Two minutes later, Alfred Effiong anticipated James Mercieca with a good header off a cross by Steve Meilak to make it 3-1.

Hardly a minute had passed that Effiong added another goal, to complete a hat-trick, beating Mercieca off a Massimo Grima freekick.

On 79 minutes, Stefan Giglio scored a fifth goal with a powerful long-distance shot which gave James Mercieca no chance.

Giglio could have added another but his low drive was parried by Mercieca aided by the post three minutes later and then Mark Pullicino cleared off the goal line another attempt by Effiong.

Photos: Copyright © www.stephengatt.com

ST. PATRICK James Merciceca, Terence Farrugia, Ryan Mifsud, Gordon Failla (57’ Illyad Scicluna), Luke Sciberras (75’ Clayton Massa), David Gauci, Steven Dimech, Alexander Ellul (70’ Yanis Tonna), Mark Pullicino, Jurgen Farrugia, Daniel Milovanovic.
Subs not used: Sean Mintoff, Matthew Fleri Soler, Randall Cassar, Bronwen Bugeja.
Coach: Alfred Attard Asst. Coach: Ludwig Bartolo

QORMI Matthew Camilleri, Duncan Pisani, Lucas Ramon Dos Santos, Roderick Sammut, Jonathan Bondin, Keith Fenech (50’ Steve Meilak), Stefan Giglio, Matthew Bartolo (76’ Steve Agius), Joseph Farrugia (50’ Massimo Grima), Camilo Da Silva Sanvezzo, Alfred Effiong.
Subs not used: Matthew Farrugia, Malcolm Buttigieg, Stephen Wellman, Ryan Deguara.
Coach: Vince Carbonaro Team Manager: Jesmond Zerafa

Referee: Clayton Pisani
Assistant Referees: Joe Camilleri, William Debattista
Fourth Official: Paul Caruana
Yellow Cards: R.Mifsud, D. Gauci, Camilo

On Sunday, Balzan Youths take on Dingli Swallows while Floriana face Tarxien Rainbows in the only clash between two Premier League sides.

In these matches, extra-time will be played in necessary. If the result is still draw at the end of extra-time, penalty kicks shall be taken in accordance with the Laws of the Game.