Vittoriosa turn defeat into victory in Gozo — St. Andrews through to second round

Vittoriosa Stars came from behind to turn defeat into victory and beat Victoria Hotspurs 4-2 in a match from the first round of the U*BET FA Trophy at the Gozo Stadium on Sunday.

The Stars therefore join Floriana, Hamrun Spartans, Marsaxlokk, Hibernians, Tarxien Rainbows and First Division sides Mosta and St. Andrews in the second round of the competition.

The hosts managed to take the lead on the 15th minute when Kalin Ganchev received a perfect pass on the right and with a diagonal shot, he managed to place the ball at the back of the net.

Vittoriosa levelled matters ten minutes from the end of the first half when Compagnoli concluded a good move with a fine pass for Jorge Santos Silva who hit home from close range.

The Hotspurs regained the lead three minutes in the second half when a cross from the right by Ganchev was not cleared by the Vittoriosa rear-guard and Justin Azzopardi slammed the ball home past goalkeeper Jean Matthias Vella.

Leighton Grech restored equilibrium on 62 minutes when off a cross from the right by Jorge Santos Silva, he controlled before hitting past goalkeeper Mark Grima.

Two minutes later, Vittoriosa forged ahead when off a cross from the left, Jorge Santos Silva released Anthony Ewurum who found no difficulty in placing the ball at the back of the net.

Three minutes in added time, the Stars sealed the issue with a fourth goal as Anthony Ewurum headed the ball home from close range following a cross from the left by Leighton Grech.

Photos: Copyright © Joseph Mercieca – Gozo Vision Studio

VICTORIA H. Mark Grima, Julius Oche Emanche (79′ Josmar Farrugia), Michael Vella, Andrew Zammit (56′ Kevin Farrugia), Mario Mifsud, Daniel Farrugia, Ryan Grech, Dylan Bellotti, Justin Azzopardi, Kalin Ganchev, Oliver Farrugia.
VITTORIOSA Jean Matthias Vella, Clayton Micallef (60′ Jeffrey Chetcuti), Justin Camilleri, Carlos Campagnoli, Edison Luis Dos Santos, Johann Spiteri (37′ Anthony Ewurum), Jonathan Xerri, Dino Cachia, Jorge Santos Silva, Stephen Wellman, Leighton Grech.
Referee: Marco Borg
Assistant Referees: Alan Camilleri, Mariano Debono
Fourth Official: Fyodor Zammit
Yellow Cards: Emanche, D. Farrugia, R. Grech

At the Centenary Stadium, St. Andrews were the second team to reach the next stage as they defeated St. George’s 2-1.

St. Andrews managed to take the lead on 29 minutes when a shot by Jack Pallen from the edge of the area beat goalkeeper Ryan Cilia.

Four minutes later, they doubled the score when Pallen concluded a solo effort with a pass for Jonathan Briscoe White who slotted the ball past the Cospicua goalkeeper.

Dylan Zarb was sent off for St. George’s on the hour but fifteen minutes later, they pulled one back. Jonathan Briscoe White brought Jonathan Luiz down inside the area. Referee Paul Apap ordered a penalty and showed Briscoe White a second yellow card. Glenn Bonello made no mistake from the penalty spot.

Photos: Copyright ©

ST. GEORGE’S Ryan Cilia (Thomas Galea 66), Luke Stivala (Shawn Farrugia 80), Terence Farrugia, Daniel Zahra, Emanuel Sevasta, Anthony Bonello (Leroy Bonet 37), Emerson Amaira, Glenn Bonello, Jonathan Ruiz, Gary Inguanez, Dylan Zarb
ST. ANDREWS Ibrahim Deren, Glenn Fenech, Patrick Briscoe White, Ronnie Hartvig, Jonathan Briscoe White, Kurt Galea (Nicki Vella Petroni 68), Andrew Amato, Neil Chetcuti, Michael Calleja (William Camilleri 57), Jack Pallen (Faibal Anakua 86)
Referee: Paul Apap
Assistant Referees: Philip Agius, Malcolm Mercieca
Fourth Official: Chris Lautier
Yellow Cards: E Sevasta (SG), J. Briscoe White, F. Anakua, N. Vella Petroni (SA)
Red Cards: 60′ D. Zarb, 75′ J. Briscoe White