Floriana, Hibs, Vittoriosa and Tarxien through to FA Trophy quarter-finals

Floriana, Hibernians, Vittoriosa Stars and Tarxien Rainbows joined holders Valletta, last season’s finalists Qormi, champions Birkirkara and Sliema Wanderers in the quarter-finals of the U*BET FA Trophy after emerging as winners in the second round matches which were played on Wednesday.

Floriana and Hibernians registered narrow wins over Mosta and St. Andrews respectively from Division 1 while Vittoriosa Stars registered a comfortable win over Marsaxlokk. On the other hand, Tarxien Rainbows defeated Hamrun Spartans 3-2 after extra-time.

In the first match at the Centenary Stadium, ten-man Floriana defeated Mosta 1-0 after extra-time in a match which saw Mosta miss a last minute penalty.

The Greens had the first attempt at goal with Christian Caruana testing Jonathan Debono from close range with the Mosta goalkeeper turning the ball into a corner. Mosta replied with a cross shot by William Camenzuli from the right which was neutralised by Saidi on the 10th minute.

Dragomir Draganov headed high off a Manolito Micallef cross from the left on 23 minutes. Three minutes later, an overhead kick by Ryan Deguara was parried by the Floriana custodian. On 32 minutes, a fierce shot by Daniel Nwoke for the Greens was cleared off the goal-line by Adrian Borg.

Seven minutes in the second half, Firas Aboulezz went close to putting Mosta ahead with a powerful shot from inside the area. His first attempt was blocked with particular difficulty by Saidi and off the rebound, the Mosta striker hit high. On the other side of the pitch, Jonathan Debono blocked a shot from close range by Draganov following a good run on the right on 56 minutes.

Floriana were reduced to ten men on 59 minutes when referee Marco Borg gave Daniel Nwoke marching orders for retaliating on a foul by William Camenzuli.

Mosta had a cross shot by William Camenzuli from the right turned into a corner by Saidi and then on the 80th, Victor Osubu released Gilbert Martin on the right and the latter’s powerful shot ended just wide. In added time, Gilbert Martin missed a good opportunity when off a cross from the right, he controlled the ball but hit high.

The game went into extra-time and Floriana finally managed to break the deadlock five minutes in the second half of extra-time when off a Christian Caruana cross from the right, Dragomir Draganov placed the ball at the back of the net from close range.

One minute from the end, Mosta were awarded a penalty after Gilbert Martin was brought down inside the area by Lotfi Saidi. However the Tunisian goalkeeper neutralised Kane Farrugia’s effort from the penalty spot.

Photos: Copyright © www.stephengatt.com

FLORIANA Lotfi Saidi, Brian Said, Manolito Micallef, Duncan Pisani, Tyrone Farrugia, Pablo Doffo, Christian Caruana, Joseph Borg (73’ Thomas Paris), Sacha Borg (62’ Marcal Guerreiro Fernandes)(121’ Owen Bugeja), Dragomir Draganov, Daniel Nwoke.
Subs not used: John Agius, Alan Abela, Carl Cutajar, Luke Agius.
Coach: Michael Woods
Assistant Coach: Todor Raykov

MOSTA Jonathan Debono, Firas Aboulezz (98’ Simon Shead), Adrian Borg, Kane Farrugia, Victor Osubu, Lee Grima, Alex Cini, Nikola Bogdanovic, Bryan Agius, Ryan Deguara (69’ Gilbert Martin), William Camenzuli.
Subs not used: Noel Attard, Mark Brincat, Kenneth Spiteri, Pio Vassallo, Brian Galea.
Coach: Oliver Spiteri
Assistant Coach: Ramon Zammit

Referee: Marco Borg
Assistant Referees: Ingmar Spiteri, Mariano Debono
Fourth Official: Paul Caruana
Yellow Cards: R. Deguara, K. Farrugia, A. Cini, G. Martin, F. Aboulezz, B. Agius, L. Saidi, P. Doffo, W. Camenzuli
Red Cards: 69’ Daniel Nwoke
Scorers: 110’ Dragomir Draganov

At the Hibernians Stadium, Hibernians struggled more than expected to beat St. Andrews 3-2.

Hibernians took the lead on 29 minutes when Andrew Cohen received the ball on the right and advanced before beating Saints goalie Filippo Carandante with a beatiful shot.

The Saints’ reaction was immediate as they levelled matters a minute later when Nicky Vella Petroni concluded a solo effort on the right with a low shot which was blocked by Mario Muscat and off the rebound, Faisal Anakua scored with a rising shot.

Hibs regained the lead on 76 minutes when off a through pass by Cohen, Paul McManus anticipated Carandente with a header with the ball ending at the back of the net.

St. Andrews restored equilibrium three minutes later when a Michael Valenzia freekick was blocked by the Hibs defence but the same player hit home off the rebound.

However the Paolites notched the winner on 84 minutes when off a cross from the right by Herrera, Paul McManus headed home past Carandante.

HIBERNIANS Mario Muscat, Ryan Camilleri, Jonathan Pearson (82′ Matthew Tabone), Matthew Gauci, Adrian Pulis, Edward Herrera, Bjorn Kristensen, Richie Hart, Andrew Cohen, Steve Pisani, Paul McManus.

ST. ANDREWS Filippo Carandante, Neil Chetcuti, Andrew Camilleri Kamski (85′ Matteo Desira Buttigieg), Jonathan Bugeja, Ronnie Hartvig, Michael Valenzia, William Camilleri, Nicky Vella Petroni, Faisal Anakua, Michael Calleja (64′ Ben Diacono), Morgan Onuorah (71′ Kurt Coleiro).

Referee: Glenn Tonna
Assistant Referees: Edward Spiteri, Alan Camilleri
Fourth Official: Clayton Pisani
Yellow Cards: P. McManus (H), W. Camilleri (SA)
Scorers: 29′ Andrew Cohen (H); 30′ Faisal Anakua (SA); 76′ Paul McManus (H); 79′ Michael Valenzia (SA); 84′ Paul McManus (H)

In the second game, Vittoriosa Stars defeated Marsaxlokk with a comfortable 3-0 win.

The Stars therefore bounced back from the heavy defeat to Floriana while the Southseasiders disappointed after a positive outing against Birkirkara.

Vittoriosa took the lead on the 5th when a Murilo Maccari freekick was cleared by the Marsaxlokk rearguard and off the rebound, Jorge Santos Silva hit hard with the shot being to strong for goalkeeper Glenn Zammit to stop the ball from going beyond the goal line.

This goal stunned Marsaxlokk and shots by Santos Silva on the 13th and Ewurum on the 19th scraped past the post. A freekick by Edison Luis Dos Santos hit the crossbar on 33 minutes and off the rebound, Jorge Santos Silva’s header was neutralised by Zammit.

Two minutes in the second half, Vittoriosa doubled the score when off a swift counter-attack led by Leighton Grech, he served Anthony Ewurum who placed the ball at the back of the net from close range.

The Stars sealed the issue with a third goal on 72 minutes when off another swift counter-attack, Dos Santos served Leighton Grech who rounded a defender before placing the ball in the corner behind Zammit.

MARSAXLOKK Glenn Zammit, Malcolm Licari, Clive Brincat (39′ Sunday Eboh), Andrew Spiteri, Emil Yanchev, Trevor Templeman, Peter Pullicino, Florent Raimy, Ruben Guerriero Gravata (46′ Gareth Sciberras), Ryan Darmanin, Julio Alcorse (60′ Alfred Effiong).

VITTORIOSA Jean Vella, Clayton Micallef, Murilo Maccari, Jeffrey Chetcuti (78′ Sharlon Pace), Edison Luis Dos Santos, Ryan Grech, Jorgè Santos Silva (88′ Larry Laganà), Anthony Ewurum, Stephen Wellman, Leighton Grech (76′ Dino Cachia), Justin Camilleri

Referee: Kevin Azzopardi
Assistant Referees: Malcolm Merieca, Philip Agius
Fourth Official: Esther Azzopardi
Yellow Cards: F. Raimy, T. Templeman, C. Brincat (M), M. Maccari, S. Wellman (VS)
Scorers: 5′ Jorge Santos Silva, 47′ Anthony Ewurum, 72′ Leighton Grech

In the second match at the Centenary Stadium, Tarxien Rainbows defeated Hamrun Spartans 3-2 after extra-time.

The Spartans managed to take the lead on the 6th minute when goalkeeper David Cassar blocked a shot just inside the area and Gaetan Spiteri took the ball off the rebound and controlled the ball in style before unleashing a powerful shot which ended at the back of the net.

Hamrun went close once again on the half hour with a fierce shot by Lee James Agius which was turned into a corner in style by the Tarxien custodian on the half-hour. Four minutes later, Marcelo Pereira headed just wide off a cross from the right by Vukanic. A cross shot by Vukanic from the right was turned into a corner by Cassar three minutes from the end of the first half.

The Tarxien goalkeeper was prominent once again one minute in the second half as he blocked a conclusion by Marcelo Pereira following a good run by the latter on the right flank.

Tarxien equalised on the 54th when off a cross from the right, a header by Ricardo Costa hit the woodwork and off the rebound, Everton Antonio Pereira hit home from close range.

A minute later, Gaetan Spiteri went close to restoring the lead for the Spartans when served by Marcelo Pereira on the right but his conclusion was cleared off the goal line by a defender. But on 62 minutes, Tarxien were unlucky to hit the crossbar with a header by Daniel Mariano Bueno following a cross from the left by Ricardo Costa.

Ricardo Costa however was not to be denied on 62 minutes when he received a perfect pass by Daniel Mariano Bueno from the right and the Brazilian midfielder controlled before hitting low past goalkeeper Omar Borg.

Seven minutes later, Marcelo Pereira levelled matters when off a cross from the left by Spiteri, the Brazilian striker anticipated goalkeeper David Cassar heading the ball home.

On the 79th, Lee James Agius, served by David Camilleri, had a powerful shot from inside the area blocked by David Cassar.

The game went into extra-time and seven minutes in the second half of extra-time, the Rainbows notched the winner when Sergio Pacheco De Oliveira provided Ricardo Costa with a fine pass from the right and the latter controlled before hitting low past the Hamrun goalkeeper.

Tarxien had Sergio Pacheco De Oliveira sent off on the 118th minute after receiving a second yellow card.

Photos: Copyright © www.stephengatt.com

HAMRUN Omar Borg, Mark Anthony Bonnici, Massimo Grima, Rupert Mangion (90’ Dylan Kokavessis), Ryan Fenech, Lee James Agius, Marcelo Pereira, Gaetan Spiteri, Jovan Vukanic (112’ Aaron Attard), David Camilleri (103’ Mead Mifsud), Steve Bonnici.
Subs not used: Andrea Cassar, Karl Magro, Craig Debattista, Peter Anizoba.
Coach: Steve D’Amato
Assistant Coach: Victor Cassar

TARXIEN David Cassar, Steve Sadowski, Manuel Caruana (46’ Ryan Mintoff), Everton Antonio Pereira, Ricardo Costa, Cristiano Dos Santos Rodrigues (46’ Sergio Pacheco De Oliveira), Mark Tanti (90+1’ Sergio Hili), Daniel Mariano Bueno, Orosco Anonam, Lee Galea, Justin Grioli.
Subs not used: Anthony Curmi, Gianluca Calabretta, Warren Zerafa, Julian Vella.
Coach: Noel Coleiro
Assistant Coach: Michael Church

Referee: Andre Arciola
Assistant Referees: Konrad Borg, William Debattista
Fourth Official: Alan Mario Sant
Yellow Cards: Pacheco, Sadowski, Mintoff, Grioli, Everton, Spiteri, MA Bonnici
Red Cards: 118′ Sergio Pacheco De Oliveira
Scorers: 6’ Gaetan Spiteri (H); 54’ Everton (T); 62’ Ricardo Costa (T); 69’ Marcelo Pereira (H); 112’ Ricardo Costa (T)