U*BET FA Trophy: Mellieha, Hamrun through to fourth round

Second Division side Mellieha were the first team to reach the fourth round of the U*BET FA Trophy as they defeated Siggiewi 4-3 on penalties following a goalless draw.

The Blues held the initiative in the early stages, hitting the upright through Albert Aquilina but Siggiewi soon started to share the exchanges with their opponents.

In added time, Jason Camilleri missed an excellent opportunity with a diagonal shot from the left ending just wide. The game therefore went into extra-time.

Early in the first half of extra-time, William Borg missed a good opportunity hitting high from close-range. Borg had another fine effort on 103 minutes blocked by Vella.

With no goals being scored, the penalty shoot-out had to decide the issue.

The penalty shoot-out:
Pierre Spiteri – penalty saved by goalkeeper; William Borg – goal;
Brian Galea – penalty saved by goalkeeper; Wayne Buttigieg – goal;
Josef Vassallo – goal; Tiago Loquete – goal;
Stephen Delia – goal; Keith Fenech – penalty saved by goalkeeper;
Jason Camilleri – goal; Matthew Vella –

MELLIEHA James Abela, Marlon Borg, Matthew Vella, Wayne Buttigieg, Benjamin Bartolo, William Borg, Keith Fenech, Kevin Gauci, Kyle Simiana (82‘ Joseph Vella), Albert Aquilina, Tiago Loquete.
Coach: Joseph Bajada

SIGGIEWI Jonathan Vella, Ian Darmanin (115‘ Pierre Spiteri), Mark Deguara, Brian Galea, Edward Vella, Mario Bajada, Eman Ciappara (74’ Josef Vassallo), Stephen Delia, James Shead, Jason Camilleri, Neville Galea.
Coach: Mario Mifsud

Referee: Jude Utulu
Assistant Referees: William Debattista, Paul Apap
Yellow Cards: K. Fenech, J. Vassallo

In the second match, Hamrun Spartans reached the last-sixteen stage after beating First Division side Dingli Swallows 3-1.

Both sides had their fair share of goal-scoring opportunities in the first half but the Swallows created the better chances, especially through Leontiev Konda.

Hamrun managed to break the deadlock four minutes in the second half when off a Gianluca Calabretta corner from the right, Anderson Mendes Ribeiro beat goalkeeper Jeffrey Farrugia.

The Spartans doubled the score on 69 minutes when off a Massimo Grima free kick from the right, Anderson Mendes Ribeiro headed the ball home.

Dingli pulled one back on 78 minutes when they were awarded a penalty after a defender handled the ball inside the area. From the penalty spot, Leontiev Konda made no mistake.

Dingli missed a good chance three minutes from time when Jonathan Sapiano hit wide from an ideal position inside the area and on the 90th, a powerful drive by Massimo Grima for Hamrun hit the upright.

Two minutes in added time, substitute Paolo Ciantar brought Ribeiro down inside the area and from the penalty spot, Kevin Sammut made it 3-1 for the Spartans.

HAMRUN Andrea Cassar, Steve Bonnici, David Camilleri, Matthew Gauci, Massimo Grima, Carlo Polli, Kevin Sammut, Gianluca Calabretta (75‘ Ryan Spiteri), Dene Shields (88′ Lee James Agius), Anderson Mendes Ribeiro, Nikica Gacesa (81‘ Glenn Azzopardi).
Coach: Jesmond Zammit

DINGLI Jeffrey Farrugia, Francis Owusu, Kurt Pace, Alex Portelli (59‘ Paolo Ciantar), Leontiev Konda, Mauro Brincat, Jonathan Sapiano, Etienne Farrugia, Reuben Vella, Roderick Briffa, Chris Azzopardi.
Coach: Borislav Giorev

Referee: Clayton Pisani
Assistant Referees: Mariano Debono, Alex Grech
Fourth Official: Trustin Farrugia Cann
Yellow Cards: Ciantar
Scorers: 49’ Anderson Mendes Ribeiro; 69’ Anderson Mendes Ribeiro, 78’ Leontiev Konda (pen), 92′ Kevin Sammut (pen)