U*BET FA Trophy: Holders Floriana through to quarter-finals — Impressive comeback for Valletta

Holders Floriana reached the quarter-finals of the U*BET FA Trophy after defeating Balzan Youths 1-0 at the National Stadium on Saturday.

The Greens held the initiative but missed several chances, including a penalty before scoring the all-important goal early in the second half.

Floriana could have taken the lead on 13 minutes when Ivan Woods was brought down inside the area by Anthony Eviparker but Woods’ effort from the penalty spot hit the foot of the upright.

The Greens managed to take the lead on 54 minutes when off a Pablo Doffo free kick, a first attempt by Andre Grabowski was blocked but off the rebound, the same striker placed the ball at the back of the net.

BALZAN Fredrick Tabone, Bledjon Guga, Jonathan Francica, Yessous Camilleri, Rennie Forace (83‘ Lydon Micallef), Martin Deanov, Dylan Grima, Bjorn Bondin (40’ David Fenech), Fagner Lins Bernardes (75‘ Nikola Tasic), Pedro dos Santos Calcado, Anthony Eviparker.
Subs not used: Matthew Camilleri, Miguel Ciantar, Silvan Ciscaldi, Michael Borg.
Coach: Joe Borg
Team Manager: Ivan Zammit

FLORIANA Manuel Bartolo, Eric Akoto, Owen Bugeja, Duncan Pisani, Manolito Micallef, Pablo Doffo, Christian Cassar (87‘ John Mintoff), Christian Caruana, Andre Grabowski, Ivan Woods, Clyde Borg 46’ Malcolm Licari)(84’ Joseph Borg).
Subs not used: Jurgen Borg, Ryan Darmanin, Thomas Paris, Francesco Guzman.
Coach: Michael Woods
Asst. Coach: Frank Schembri

Referee: Fyodor Zammit
Assistant Referees: Ingmar Spiteri, Sammy Attard
Fourth Official: Adrian Azzopardi
Yellow Cards: Caruana, Eviparker, C. Borg, Pedrinho, Guga
Scorers: 54’ Andre Grabowski

Last season’s finalists, Valletta came back from two goals down as they scored five in the second half to beat Sliema Wanderers 5-2 and secure a place in the quarter-finals.

Danial Mitev put Sliema ahead after just three minutes with a free kick with the ball hitting the upright before ending at the back of the net.

The Wanderers doubled the score on 16 minutes as Danial Mitev’s powerful free kick proved too strong for Andrew Hogg.

Five minutes in the second half, Valletta reduced the gap through substitute Edmond Agius who received the ball from a short clearance by the Sliema rear-guard and beat Bonello with a powerful shot from the left.

On the hour, Valletta equalised thanks to another substitute – Ousseni Zongo who received a cross from the left by Denni and slammed the ball past the Sliema custodian.

The Citizens forged ahead on 68 minutes when they were awarded a penalty after Steve Bezzina pushed Mifsud inside the penalty area. Bezzina was given marching orders by referee Kevin Azzopardi and Michael Mifsud scored Valletta’s third goal from the penalty spot.

Mifsud could have added another goal on 77 minutes but his powerful shot from inside the area hit the two posts before being cleared into safety.

Ousseni Zongo made it 4-2 on 79 minutes with a rising shot from the left which gave Bonello no chance.

Two minutes from time, off a cross from the right by Michael Mifsud, Alfred Effiong headed the ball home to seal the issue with a fifth goal.

SLIEMA Henry Bonello, Ryan Grech (72‘ Jean Pierre Mifsud Triganza), Mark Scerri, Danial Mitev, Steve Bezzina, Clifford Gatt Baldacchino, Ryan Fenech, Rumen Galabov, Roderick Bajada, Emiliano Lattes, Beppe Muscat (63’ Alex Muscat).
Subs not used: Anthony Curmi, Josef Mifsud, Ryan Dalli, Timothy Thomas, Cleavon Frendo.
Coach: Danilo Doncic
Asst. Coach: Saviour Debono Grech

VALLETTA Andrew Hogg, Steve Borg, Ian Azzopardi, Roderick Briffa, Gilbert Agius, Denni Rocha dos Santos, Denni Rocha dos Santos, William Barbosa (32’ Edmond Agius), Michael Mfisud, Jonathan Caruana, Alfred Effiong, Dyson Falzon (32’ Ousseni Zongo).
Subs not used: Matthew Towns, Ramon dos Santos, Samir Arab, Siraj Arab, Jamie Pace.
Coach: Leonard Farrugia
Asst Coach: Jesmond Zerafa

Referee: Kevin Azzopardi
Assistant Referees: Alan Camilleri, Roberto Vella
Fourth Official: Esther Azzopardi
Yellow Cards: R. Grech
Red Cards: 67’ Steve Bezzina
Scorers: 3’ Danial Mitev (S); 16’ Danial Mitev (S); 50’ Edmond Agius (V); 60’ Ousseni Zongo (V); 68’ Michael Mifsud pen (V); 79’ Ousseni Zongo (V) 88’ Alfred Effiong (V)
Attendance: 1,494

After eliminating Tarxien Rainbows in the third round, First Division leaders Pietà Hotspurs defeated another Premier League side – Marsaxlokk 5-1 at the Centenary Stadium.

The Hotspurs managed to take the lead on 19 minutes when off a cross by Jurgen Pisani, Vinicius Pereira dos Santos hit the upright and off the rebound, Adrian Farrugia placed the ball at the back of the net.

Marsaxlokk levelled matters through Jean Paul Farrugia who headed the ball home off a cross by Modesto Valeriani.

Eleven minutes in the second half, Pietà regained the lead thanks to Vinicius Pereira dos Santos who hit home off a cross by Cassar.

On the 70th, goalkeeper Christian Cassar saved partially a free kick by dos Santos and off the rebound, Zach Muscat headed the ball home.

Marsaxlokk were reduced to ten men on 77 minutes after Patrick Borg.

Three minutes later, Pietà increased the lead when Vinicius Pereira dos Santos scored the fourth goal when served by Jonathan Zarate.

Substitute Matthew Agius sealed the issue with a fifth goal on the 90th when served by dos Santos.

PIETÀ Miguel Montfort, Christian Grech, Clive Spiteri, Quelin Refalo (83′ Matthew Agius), Terence Agius, Zach Muscat, Vinicius Pereira dos Santos, Cleaven Cassar, Jonathan Bilbao Zarate, Jurgen Pisani (73’ Larson Mallia), Adrian Farrugia (87′ Carl Cutajar).
Subs not used Carlos Dimech, Bernard Sciberras, Dale Camilleri, Cain Attard.
Coach: Edmond Lufi
Asst. Coach: Jean Paul Desira

M’XLOKK Christian Cassar, Modesto Valeriani, Trevor Templeman, Kevin Polidano, Stefan Cutajar (63‘ Gabriel Buttigieg), Luke Agius, Craig Debattista (63’ Patrick Borg), Jean Paul Farrugia, Gary Caruana, Darrell Grech (83′ Dylan Attard), Nemanja Stoskovic.
Subs not used: Christian Gafa, Manuel Caruana, Jonathan Xerri, Matthew Caruana.
Coach: Anton Cremona

Referee: Clayton Pisani
Assistant Referees: William Debattista, Paul Apap
Fourth official: Mario Apap.
Yellow Cards: Polidano, Muscat, Vinicius, D. Grech, P. Borg
Red Card: 77’ Patrick Borg
Scorers: 18′ Adrian Farrugia (P); 37′ Jean Paul Farrugia (M); 56′ Vinicius Pereira dos Santos (P); 70′ Zach Muscat (P); 80′ Vinicius Pereira dos Santos (P); 90′ Matthew Agius (P)

In another match at the Centenary Stadium, Qormi proved too strong for Second Division side Mellieha, beating them 5-0.

Qormi managed to take the lead on the 2nd minute when they were awarded a penalty after Matthew Vella brought debutante Caio Garcia Suguino down inside the area. From the penalty spot, Joseph Farrugia made no mistake.

Jorge Pereira da Silva doubled the score on 11 minutes and four minutes later, the Brazilian striker headed home off a cross by Matthew Bartolo to increase the lead further.

On the hour, Caio Garcia Suguino scored the fourth goal for Qormi, beating James Abela following a Joseph Farrugia free kick.

Jorge Pereira da Silva completed a hat-trick with a fifth goal on 69 minutes thanks to a powerful shot from inside the area.

QORMI Steve Sultana, Roderick Sammut, Matthew Bartolo, Joseph Chetcuti, Joseph Farrugia (71‘ Ranier Buhagiar), Luke Sciberras, Federico Mirarchi (65‘ Carmelo Farrugia), Jorge Pereira da Silva, Jonathan Bondin, Caio Garcia Suguino (73‘ Charlon Sammut), Tristan Caruana.
Subs not used: Matthew Farrugia, Jeffrey Chetcuti, Jeremy Farrugia, Stephen Wellman.
Coach: Stephen Azzopardi

MELLIEHA James Abela, Matthew Vella, Wayne Buttigieg, David Cauchi, Ben Bartolo, Kevin Gauci, William Borg, Keith Fenech, Glen Magri (72‘ Kyle Simiana), Robert Perkins (63′ Mauro Calleja), Tiago Loquete (36‘ Philip Taylor).
Subs not used: Simon Gauci, Albert Aquilina, Wayne Borg St John, Marlon Borg.
Coach: Joe Bajada
Asst. Coach: Dennis Fenech

Referee: Paul Caruana
Assistant Referees: Chris Francalanza, Thomas Debono
Fourth official: Malcolm Spiteri
Yellow Cards: Loquete, Fenech, M. Vella
Scorers: 2’ Joseph Farrugia pen; 11’ Jorge Pereira da Silva; 15’ Jorge Pereira da Silva; 60’ Caio Garcia Suguino; 69’ Jorge Pereira da Silva