U*BET FA Trophy: Spartans shock Birkirkara — Hibs, Mosta and St. George's through to quarter-finals

Hamrun Spartans defeated Birkirkara 3-2 in an entertaining fourth round clash at the Hibernians Stadium to reach the quarter-finals of the U*BET FA Trophy.

The Spartans took the lead on 17 minutes when off a cross by Dene Shields, Gaetan Spiteri tapped the ball home past goalkeeper Reuben Gauci.

Hamrun were awarded a penalty on the 20th minute. Paul Fenech brought Dene Shields down inside the area and from the penalty spot, Dene Shields converted to put the Spartans 2-0 ahead.

Birkirkara replied with attempts by Jorge Santos Silva and Moises Avila Perez which were neutralised by the Spartans’ rear-guard mainly thanks to some fine saves by goalkeeper Omar Borg.

The Stripes reduced the gap on 39 minutes when off a cross by Shaun Bajada, Rodrigo Pereira beat Omar Borg from close range.

Two minutes later, Omar Borg saved partially a fine scissors-kick by Avila Perez and off the rebound, Gareth Sciberras headed home.

Hamrun regained the lead on 78 minutes thanks to Anderson Mendes Ribeiro, when served by Sammut, whose low shot from the right beat Reuben Gauci.

Birkirkara were then reduced to ten men on the 84th as referee Trustin Farrugia Cann gave Joseph Zerafa marching orders after showing him a second yellow card.

Photo: Copyright © www.stephengatt.com

B’KARA Reuben Gauci, Trevor Cilia (77‘Angus Buhagiar), Joseph Zerafa, Rodrigo Pereira, Shaun Bajada (88‘ Terence Vella), Rowen Muscat, Paul Fenech, Jorge Santos Silva, Gareth Sciberras, Ryan Scicluna (82′ Leighton Grech), Moises Avila Perez.
Subs not used: Karl Magri, Ryan Camenzuli, Andrew Decesare, Alan Tabone.
Coach: Paul Zammit
Asst. Coach: Peter Pullicino

HAMRUN Omar Borg, Gianluca Calabretta, Matthew Gauci, Steve Bonnici, Massimo Grima, David Camilleri, Kevin Sammut, Anderson Mendes Ribeiro, Lee James Agius, Dene Shields, Gaetan Spiteri (60‘ Daniel Zerafa).
Subs not used: Andrea Cassar, Glenn Azzopardi, Luke Grech, Rupert Mangion, Ryan Spiteri, Ayrton Micallef.
Coach: Jesmond Zammit
Asst. Coach: Vince Carbonaro

Referee: Trustin Farrugia Cann
Assistant Referes: Mariano Debono, William Debattista
Fourth Official: Andre Arciola
Yellow Cards: Zerafa, Calabretta, Ribeiro, Fenech
Red Cards: 84’ Joseph Zerafa
Scorers: 17’ Gaetan Spiteri (H); 20’ Dene Shields pen (H); 39’ Rodrigo Pereira (B); 41’ Gareth Sciberras (B); 78’ Anderson Mendes Ribeiro (H)

In another match at the Hibernians Stadium, Hibernians found no difficulty in beating First Division side Rabat Ajax 5-0.

The Paolites took the lead on the 4th minute thanks to a direct free kick by Andrew Cohen.

On the 14th, Hibs doubled the score when off a cross by Jackson Lima from the right, Clayton Failla headed home.

Three minutes later, Peter Anizoba increased the lead when he advanced on the right and had a first attempt blocked by Sean Mintoff but off the rebound, the ball bounced on the Nigerian striker and into the net.

Edison Luis dos Santos scored the fourth goal on 24 minutes as he tapped the ball home following a corner by Cohen from the left and a header by Anizoba.

Eleven minutes from time, Jackson Lima Siquieira scored the fifth goal for the Paolites with a powerful shot from outside the area which beat Mintoff.

Photo: Copyright © www.stephengatt.com

RABAT Sean Mintoff, Neil Caruana (21‘ Vilson Caushi), Christopher Schembri, Joe Cornforth, Joseph Caruana, Adam Smeir, Arlindo Rustemi (46‘ David Azzopardi), Dylan Falzon, Christian Muscat, Yan Cauchi, Ryan Micallef (65‘ Justin Felice).
Subs not used: Jonathan Azzopardi, Kurt Muscat, Shaun Gauci, Wayne Borg.
Coach: Silvio Vella
Asst. Coach: Joe Galea

HIBS Mario Muscat, Jonathan Pearson, Rodolfo Soares, Jason Vandelannoite, Bjorn Kristensen, Clayton Faille (83‘ Steve Pisani), Andrew Cohen, Jackson Lima Siqueira, Scott Chircop, Peter Chizoba Anizoba (66’ Johann Bezzina), Edison Luis dos Santos (46‘ Marcelo Dias).
Subs not used: Nicholas Grima, Keith Tanti, Brandon Muscat, Aaron Xuereb.
Coach: Mark Miller
Asst. Coach: Richard Mercieca

Referee: Alan Mario Sant
Assistant Referees: Alan Camilleri, Paul Apap
Fourth Official: Mario Apap
Yellow Cards: R. Micallef, J. Pearson
Scorers: 4’ Andrew Cohen, 14’ Clayton Failla, 17’ Peter Anizoba, 24’ Edison Luis dos Santos; 79′ Jackson Lima Siqiueira

At the Centenary Stadium, Mosta came from behind to beat Gozitan side Xewkija Tigers 3-1.

The Tigers managed to take the lead on 24 minutes after Mosta defender Yannick Ossok committed a foul inside the area. From the penalty spot, Chris Camilleri made no mistake.

Nine minutes later, the Blues equalised thanks to a Kurt Magro header following an Ian Zammit corner.

Mosta took the lead on 35 minutes thanks to a goal by Florent Raimy after a shot by Ian Zammit was partially saved by goalkeeper Adrian Parnis.

Twelve minues in the second half, debutante Zakaria Kibona made it 3-1, placing the ball at the back of the net off a cross by Obinna Obiefule.

MOSTA Glenn Zammit, Adrian Borg, Kane Farrugia, Zakaria Kibona, Yannick Ossok, Florent Raimy, Alex Cini, Jonathan Bajada (64‘ Gilbert Martin), Kurt Magro, Ian Zammit (88‘ Firas Aboulezz), Obinna Obiefule.
Subs not used: Jonathan Debono, Luca Martinelli, Sheldon Grech, Pio Vassallo, Federico Tisbi.
Coach: Steve D’Amato

XEWKIJA Adrian Parnis, Manwel Xerri, Josmar Vella (62‘ Mark Camilleri), Martin Hrubsa, Joseph Cefai, Kiril Dyakov, Elton Vella, Rodney Buttigieg, Christopher Camilleri (77‘ Joseph Azzopardi), Christian Bugeja (84‘ Paul Rapa), John Camilleri.
Subs not used: Joseph Grima, Fabian Xuereb, John Vella, Franklee Galea.
Coach: Simon Cassar
Asst. Coach: Noel Cardona

Referee: Glenn Tonna
Yellow Cards: I. Zammit, K. Dyakov, C. Bugeja
Red Card: 23’ Yannick Ossok
Scorers: 24’ Chris Camilleri pen (X); 33’ Kurt Magro (M); 35’ Florent Raimy (M); 57′ Zakaria Kibona (M)

St. George’s were the second First Division side to reach the quarter-finals after eliminating fellow Division 1 side Lija Athletic 5-4 on penalties. At the end of the ninety minutes and extra-time, the score was 1-1.

Jonathan Ruiz was the hero for the Cospicua side with a goal on the 20th as he beat goalkeeper Ini Etim Aktpan with a powerful shot from outside the area.

The Saints seemed heading for victory but five minutes from time, Keith Darmanin forced extra-time as he converted a penalty after being fouled by Marmara inside the area.

Two minutes in added time, Lija had Gilbert Camilleri sent off.

With no goals being scored in extra-time, the penalty shoot-out had to decide the issue. St. George’s scored five and Lija four.

The penalty shoot out:
Emanuel Sevasta (SG) scored; Abdullahi Ige Adeshina (L) – penalty saved by goalkeeper;
Reda Boutahir (SG) scored; Renato Conceicao (L) scored;
Anthony Bonello (SG) – penalty saved by goalkeeper; Evano Briffa (L) scored;
Glenn Bonello (SG) scored; Ini Etim Aktpan (L) scored;
Neil Curmi (SG) scored; Keith Darmanin (L) scored;
Emerson Amaira (SG) scored; Andre Scicluna (L) hit the crossbar.

ST. GEORGE’S Ryan Marmara, Christian Grech, Anthony Bonello, Emanuel Sevasta, Alan Abela, Leonardo Rocha dos Santos, Emerson Amaira, Heathcliff Schembri, Dylan Zarb (81‘ Reda Boutahir), Jonathan Ruiz (109′ Neil Curmi), Waillys De Azevedo (74‘ Glenn Bonello).
Subs not used: Thomas Galea, Klinsmann Grech, Daniel Zahra.
Team Manager: Demis Scerri

LIJA Ini Etim Aktpan, Timothy Fleri Soler, Clayton Giordimaina, Daniel Scerri, Erjon Beu, Renato Conceicao, Gilbert Camilleri, Keith Darmanin, Andre Scicluna, Matthew Fleri Soler, Abdullahi Ige Adeshina.
Subs not used: Josuel Caruana, Evano Briffa, Benoir Fenech, Daniel Mizzi.
Coach: Marco Gerada
Asst. Coach: Lawrence Borg

Referee: Marco Borg
Yellow Cards: G. Camilleri, C. Grech, T. Fleri Soler, A. Abela, A. Bonello, R. Marmara, D. Scerri
Scorers: 20’ Jonathan Ruiz (SG); 85’ Keith Darmanin

The teams to reach the quarter-finals are holders Floriana, Valletta, Qormi, Hibernians, Mosta, Hamrun Spartans and First Division sides Pietà Hotspurs and St. George’s.