Under-21s lose 0-4 to Greece

u21-malta-greece131015The Malta Under-21 side suffered the fourth defeat in as many matches from Group 7 of the UEFA Under-21 Championship qualifiers, losing 0-4 at the National Stadium on Tuesday.

Coach Ray Farrugia made several changes from the team which lost to the same team 5-0 in Athens but this was not enough for Malta to collect any points from the game.

The visitors managed to take the lead on the 16th minute when Apostolos Vellios was brought down inside the area by a defender and from the penalty spot, Ioannis Potouridis converted.

Malta replied with a Ryan Camenzuli freekick which was neutralised by goalkeeper Sokratis Diodis. A Jurgen Pisani angled shot from the left was blocked into a corner by the Greek goalkeeper.

However just before half-time, Greece doubled the score thanks to a goal by Dimitrios Kolovos when he concluded a good move with a powerful shot which gave Yenz Cini no chance.

On the hour, Dimitrios Diamantakis exchanged the ball with another player just outside the area, having a good shot deflected into a corner by Cini.

In the remaining minutes, the two teams shared the exchanges with the locals never testing the Greek goalkeeper.

One minute from time, Greece scored the third goal thanks to an angled shot from the right by Dimitrios Kolovos which beat Cini.

But it was not over yet as two minutes in added time, substitute Dimitrios Diamantakos headed the ball home from close range following a cross from the left by Lykogiannis.

Photos: Copyright © www.stephengatt.com

no images were found

MALTA Yenz Cini, Christian Grech, Ayrton Azzopardi (46′ Matthew Tabone), Zach Muscat, Bjorn Kristensen, Clyde Borg (75′ Brandon Muscat), Jurgen Pisani (55′ Johann Bezzina), Steve Pisani, Ryan Camenzuli, Daniel Zerafa, Jean Paul Farrugia.
GREECE Sokratis Diodis, Nikolaos Marinakis, Charalamoos Lykogiannis, Ioannis Potouridis, Kostas Triantafllopoulos, Charalampos Mavrias (79′ Dimitrios Kourmpelis), Anastasios Lagos, Apostolos Vellios (24′ Dimitrios Diamantakos), Dimitrios Kolovos, Andreas Bouchalakis, Nikolaos Karelis (64′ Alexandros Kouro).
Referee: Thoroddur Hjaltalin (ICE)