Top three end first round with a win

futsal2014vryyyyyybThe top three teams in the FXDD Premier Division table ended their first round commitments with a win.

Hibernians returned on top thanks to a 4-0 win over Swieqi United to register the thirteenth win of the season. The Paolites broke the deadlock early in the first half by David Bobokidze. Swieqi’s goalkeeper Peter Curmi and his team mates defended boldly to cancel Hibs’s continuous attacks. Eventually Hibernians took control of the game and Xavier Saliba with a sigh of relief doubled the score. Melvin Borg scored twice to increase the lead to 4-0.

Luxol obtained their twelfth success of the season after defeating Zurrieq 20-1. Both sides had their fair share of play in the first five minutes but after Luxol surged ahead there was no match for Zurrieq. Ibrahim Tarik scored five goals, George Frendo, Noel Bray, Florin Anton, Basil Emeka and Dario Zampa scored a brace, Dean Gera and an own goal were among those who put their names on the scoresheet for the Luxol side. Tyron Borg scored the goal for Zurrieq.

Balzan registered a hard-fought 5-3 win against Zabbar St. Patrick. This match marked the return of striker Clint Cope after a long injury who made his comeback with a brace to help his team get the three points. Boycho Marev scored another two goals and Andrea Dan scored the other. Zabbar replied with goals from Rosen Filipov, Glenn Barry and Radoslav Kovachev.

Birzebbugia St. Peter’s claimed their second win of the season after seeing off Vittoriosa 3-1. This win enabled the Saints to leave the bottom place of the table and reach Luqa St. Andrew’s with 7 points. Javier Abad Juni, Aaron Dalli and Antoni Tarros Barrafon put their name on the scoresheet for Birzebbugia with Kenneth Spiteri scoring the only goal for the Cottonera side.

Qormi had the better of Luqa St. Andrew’s 5-2. It was an exciting match with Luqa starting brightly in the first minutes and finding the net through Chris Cardona. They continued to press the Qormi rear-guard who found keeper Stefan Vella in fine form. A few minutes before half-time, Peter Pullicino restored parity. This goal galvanized the Yellow/Blacks who performed a series of counter-attacks with Luqa keeper Clint Mifsud being kept busy. Alan Galea made it 2-1 for Qormi and a brace by Mark Mizzi in the second half extended the lead further. Chris Cardona found the net again for Luqa until Michael Galea sealed the issue for the winners.

San Gwann narrowly defeated Hamrun 5-4. A hat-trick by Dylan Musu and a goal each for Shaun Vella and Andy Mangion were the scorers for San Gwann.
Christian Cacciatolo, Antonio Marin Guardia, Aboussala Mohammed Elamari and Martin Svihalek replied for Hamrun.

Photo: Copyright © Joe Borg