Futsal: Two-year ban for four San Gwann players, two officials

imageSan Gwann players Josef Borg, Dylan Musu, Shaun Vella and Alan Borg, coach Clayton Felice and team manager Jesmond Musu were all banned by the MFA Disciplinary Commissioner following the incidents which led the FXDD Futsal First Division Championship Play-Offs semifinal between Hibernians and San Gwann to be abandoned with thirty three seconds to go.

Referee David Balzan sent off a San Gwann player for the second yellow card and this sparked harsh protests by San Gwann. A number of supporters jumped into the pitch leading the referee to abandon the match.

San Gwann had just managed to level matters in the aggregate score in a match which went into extra-time.

Photo: Copyright © Joe Borg

An exciting match indeed with San Gwann giving their utmost to put Hibernians in difficulty and getting their fair share of play. San Gwann keeper Matthew Mifsud was superb to say the least with a string of exceptional saves that kept his team in contention.

A match that had a electrifying start as San Gwann surged ahead thanks to a Dylan Musu‘s freekick who slotted the ball home and make it 1-0. Hibernians were back on level terms as Melvin Borg found the net from close range.

The Paolites scored two consecutive goals by David Bobokhidze and Celino Alves after some defensive blunders. But San Gwann never gave up and quickly restored parity by replying with a double by Dylan Musu and Denis di Maio who dribbled past the goalkeeper and slotted home to make it 3-3 before half-time.

On 24 minutes, Celino Alves underlined his excellent futsal skills when after dribbling past two players, he dashed a fierce shot that gave no chance to Mifsud to make it 4-3.

With the score being 8-8 on aggregate, the game had to go into extra-time.

On 48 minutes, Hibernians scored their fifth goal thanks to Celino Alves who scored another gem of a goal to the joy of his supporters. Thirty three seconds from the end, San Gwann substitute Nizar Fawzi Salem Abouisha scored directly from a corner after hitting the ball past keeper Cassar.

Immediately after the referee sent off a San Gwann player which led to the protests.

Meanwhile Balzan kept their hopes alive for a double after seeing off a mighty Luxol side 5-3 to reach the finals of the FXDD Premier Division Play-Offs. It was an exciting match as usual between two teams that impressed so much in the league.

Having installed a narrow 3-2 advantage in the first leg, Balzan were keen to extend their margin but the team led by Florin Anton were greatly organized in defence trying to allow to the minimum their opponents’ attacks.

Drama was instilled in the final four minutes of the game as Luxol scored twice to level matters but super-sub Glenn Bonello was quick to react with two great goals.

Balzan broke the deadlock on 16 minutes from Emil Raducu as Basil Onuta levelled matters two minutes afterwards for Luxol. Eleven seconds from the break Clint Cope made it 2-1 for Balzan.
In the second half, Gabriel Dobre extended his team’s advantage until George Frendo and William Barbosa restored parity. This was until Glenn Bonello came to the fore and scored a brace to ensure his team’s qualification for the final.