The Schools Futsal Festival, an annual event held under the auspices of the Grassroots Department of the MFA Technical Centre in collaboration with the Sports Promotion Unit and the Kunsill Malti għall-Isport, is currently being held at the Cottonera Sports Complex. This year the FMA has been also introduced as a collaborator with the MFA on this project.
The event has grown in popularity since it started being held and has attracted hundreds of youngsters from different scholls and colleges in Malta and Gozo. A notable feature this year is the increase in the number of girls’ teams, a welcome sign that girls’ football is still undergoing an upward trend in terms of popularity.
This last phase of the festival is particularly keen since the schools and colleges come up against one another after the teams have been selected by the P.E teachers. The final phase this year sees the following college representatives:
- Maria Regina, St. Clare, St. Thomas More, Blata l-Bajda and the National Sports School participating in the Girls Form 3-4 division;
- Maria Regina, St. Clare, St. Benedict, Blata l-Bajda, St. Margaret, St. Monica and the National Sports School participating in the Girls Form 1-2 division;
- St. Benedict, St. Therese College, St. Clare, St. Thomas More, St. George Preca and the National Sports School participating in the Boys Form 3-4 division;
- St. Benedict, Gozo, St. Claire, St. Margaret, St. Thomas More, Maria Regina, St. George Preca (Blata l-Bajda) and the National Sports School participating in the Boys Form 1-2 division;
- St. George Preca, St. Nicholas, St. Theresa, St. Benedict, St. Ignatius, St. Claire, St. Thomas More, St. Margaret participating in the Primary Schools division.
The organisers are committed to promote the holistic preparation of all the participants, including their general academic education, the principles on which sport is built and a sense of fair play. The atmosphere of fun within a competitive element is bound to add to the success of the festival.