FA Trophy: Marsaxlokk eliminate Zabbar St. Patrick

Favourites won as expected in the FA Trophy second round matches in programme on Saturday apart from the shock elimination for Zabbar St. Patrick at the hands of Second Division side Marsaxlokk. The other teams to reach the third round were First Division sides Qormi, Vittoriosa Stars, Zebbug Rangers and Zejtun Corinthians and Second Division sides Kalkara, Siggiewi and Swieqi United.

Siggiewi beat Luqa St. Andrew’s 4-2 in a clash between two Second Division sides at the Charles Abela Stadium. Alan Abdel Rahman put Luqa ahead on the 17th minute but goals by Jake Vella on the 35th and Ian Montanaro on the 44th turned the score in Siggiewi’s favour by half-time. Mauro Busuttil increased the lead seven minutes in the second half and although an own goal reduced the gap for Luqa four minutes later, Busuttil added another on the 75th.

First Division side Zejtun Corinthians found no difficulty in beating Third Division side Dingli Swallows 5-0 at the Charles Abela Stadium. Luis de Melo Lima put Zejtun ahead on the 7th minute and doubled the score on the 16th. Adrian Carabott made it 3-0 on the 22nd and three minutes later, Ryan Cauchi scored a fourth goal. Saturday Nanapere added another thirteen minutes from time.

Photo: Copyright © www.stephengatt.com

Vittoriosa Stars registered a most comfortable 7-1 win over Second Division side Gharghur. Joseph Jojo Ogunnupe put Vittoriosa ahead on the 24th and Obinna Obiefule scored twice on the 36th and 44th to put them three goals ahead. Charlot Zarb pulled one back for Gharghur five minutes in the second half but Andre Farrugia made it 4-1 on the 57th, before Vittoriosa added another three goals thanks to Christian Suarez Leon on the 64th, Armand Leilis on the 78th and another goal by Andre Farrugia in added time.

Second Division side Marsaxlokk registered a major surprise as they defeated First Division side Zabbar St. Patrick 5-0 at the Luxol Stadium. Kenneth Ekezie opened the score on the 10th minute and a brace by Alan Tabone on the 13th and 39th gave Marsaxlokk a comfotable lead. Cleaven Jeffrey Zammit increased the lead two minutes from time with Alan Tabone adding another in added time.

Second Division side Swieqi United defeated Mellieha from Division 3 2-1 at the Sirens Stadium. A penalty by Roderick Taliana on the 16th minute put Swieqi ahead and Mirco Vella doubled the score on the 35th. Mellieha reduced the gap thanks to Bryan Bautista just before half-time.

At the Sirens Stadium, Second Division side Kalkara beat Third Division side Sta. Venera Lightnings 2-1. Timothy Thomas put Kalkara ahead on the half-hour and Dylan Xuereb doubled the score on the 76th with Joel Winters scoring a consolation goal for the Lightnings two minutes from time.

Zebbug Rangers defeated Sirens 3-1 in a clash between two First Division sides at the Victor Tedesco Stadium. Clifford Gauci put the Rangers ahead on the 9th minute and goals by Aleksandar Kovacic just before half-time and one minute in the second half put victory beyond doubt. Darko Medic pulled one back for Sirens when he converted a penalty on the 74th.

In another match at the Victor Tedesco Stadium, First Division leaders Qormi defeated Second Division side Fgura United 4-1 thanks to goals by Tensior Gusman on the 29th, Julien Salaroli on the 46th, Lubos Adamec on the 59th and Jose Lucas Caetano da Silva on the 83rd and a consolation goal by Thomas Grech for Fgura on the 78th.

[gallery_bank type=”images” format=”masonry” title=”true” desc=”false” responsive=”true” display=”all” sort_by=”pic_id” animation_effect=”bounce” album_title=”true” album_id=”81″]