FA Trophy: Rabat, Marsa eliminated by Second Division sides

Second Division sides Gudja United and Santa Lucia managed to eliminate two teams from the First Division in two of the ten FA Trophy second round matches in programme on Sunday. Four First Division teams and three Gozitans also made it to the next round.

At the Charles Abela Stadium, Gudja United defeated Rabat Ajax 3-0 after extra-time. With the score still goalless at the end of the ninety minutes, the game went into extra-time and Nicholas Zammit put Gudja ahead on the 97th, Jean Claud Cesare doubled the score three minutes later and two minutes in the second half of extra-time, Nicholas Zammit sealed the issue with a third goal.

In another match, at the Charles Abela Stadium, Mqabba defeated Mgarr United 3-0 thanks to goals by Paul Chimezie on the 14th, Tomislav Trebovac just before extra-time and Paul Chimezie two minutes from time.

At the Gozo Stadium, Xewkija Tigers beat Xghajra Tornados 5-2. Joseph George Vella converted a penalty on the 31st and six minutes later, Claudio Antunes doubled the score. Royter Degiorgio reduced the gap for Xghajra on the 40th but Thiago Melo dos Santos made it 3-1 on the 55th. Royter Degiorgio converted a penalty for Xghajra but Xewkija scored another two goals thanks to Claudio Antunes on the 77th and Milos Stojanovic on the 91st.

In another match, Victoria Hotspurs scored three late goals as they beat Birzebbuga St. Peter’s 4-0. Elton Alexandre da Silva put the Hotspurs ahead on the 17th minute. Chris Camilleri doubled the score on the 84th with Henrique Maciel making it 3-0 on the 89th and Andrea Debrincat adding another in stoppage time.

At the Luxol Stadium, Qrendi defeated neighbours Zurrieq 3-1. Shunsuke Nakamura opened the score for Qrendi on the 27th minute and a brace by Dhonathan Santos da Hora on the 36th and 69th extended the lead. Gilbert Camilleri reduced the gap on the 76th.

In another match, San Gwann beat St. George’s 2-0 thanks to Mario Andres Artieta Suarez on the 35th and Joao Claudio Kiala on the 49th.

Kercem Ajax defeated Attard 2-0 after extra-time at the Sirens Stadium thanks to goals by Ognjen Rolovic on the 99th and Alen Haska just before the end of the first half of extra-time.

In another match, Melita defeated Ghajnsielem 4-2 on penalties following a 2-2 draw at the end of the ninety minutes and a 3-3 draw after extra-time. Everton Felipe da Silva put the Blacks ahead on the 2nd minute but Luke Mifsud equalised on the 12th. Ghajnsielem regained the lead on the 72nd thanks to an Oscar Guerrero penalty but Nicholas Bradshaw forced extra-time with a goal five minutes from time. Seven minutes in the first half of extra-time, Oscar Guerrero made it 3-2 for Ghajnsielem but Luke Micallef equalised just before the final whistle. In the penalty shoot-out, Luke Micallef, Nicholas Bradshaw, Andrew Borg Hedley and Matthew Groves scored for Melita and Shaun Bajada and Kenneth Mercieca scored the only two penalties for Ghajnsielem.

Santa Lucia beat Marsa 4-1 at the Victor Tedesco Stadium. Santiago Solano Rodriguez scored on the 33rd and 63rd while Sebastian Perdomo extended the lead with a goal on the 69th and a penalty two minutes later. Marsa reduced the gap thanks to an own goal in added time.

A hat-trick by Clive Gauci gave Pietà Hotspurs a 3-1 win over Pembroke Athleta. Caio Alves De Souza put Pembroke ahead but Clive Gauci levelled matters. The game went into extra-time with Gauci scoring another two goals to put the Hotspurs in the third round.

The teams to join the fourteen Premier League clubs in the third round of the FA Trophy are therefore First Division teams Pietà, Vittoriosa, Qrendi, Zebbug, Qormi, Mqabba, Zejtun, San Gwann and Melita; Second Division sides Marsaxlokk, Gudja, Santa Lucia, Kalkara, Swieqi and Siggiewi together with Gozitan sides Xewkija, Victoria Hotspurs and Kercem.