Senglea Athletic win Fgura Tournament

With the results of the second round of matches in the Fgura United Pre-Season Tournament, Senglea Athletic, as expected, landed the trophy prior to playing the last round of games on Friday.

Senglea were in a state of grace as they trounced Marsa 7-2 to register their second victory in a row. Coach Faure’ made only one change form their first win over Fgura. Senglea took the lead after 7 minutes when Goncalves crossed to Glen Tanti to head home. Marsa equalised three minutes later when Steve Buhagiar chested down and shot past Attard with a half turn.

However Senglea sealed the issue with three goals in eight minutes; Marsa’s keeper Brincat splilled the ball which was tapped in by Simon Aquilina on the 24th minute followed two minutes later by another goal when Alan Spiteri laid the ball in the path of Goncalves who scored from close range. Six minutes later, the Brazilian converted a penalty.

The second half started at a much slower pace until Senglea added two more goals in a space of a minute midway through the half; prolific scorer Timmy Thomas was put through, rounded the keeper and made them 5-1. Play maker Alan Spiteri a few seconds later chested down a good cross, his feints flooring the extreme defender before scoring in an empty net. Marsa reduced the arrears on the 80th minute with a penalty scored by substitue Charles Debattista. Timmy Thomas found time to get his brace minutes from the end to a final scoreline which read Senglea A 7, Marsa 2. Referee: Mr. Malcolm Spiteri

In the second match, Fgura emerged 2-1 winners over Sta. Venera L. The first half the respective defensive units managed to control their opponents with keeper Cuschieri saving long distance attempts by Vince Camilleri while at the other end Lightnings had a claim for a penalty for a handling offence by Fgura skipper, Clint Ellul turned down by the referee. Sta Venera had a goal disallowed for an offside position.

The second half was much livelier; Young Bianco in Fgura’s goal turned over the bar with a good save after ten minutes from the restart with Fgura edging ahead when Tonna managed to free Nazzareno Abela who advanced and shot past goalkeeper Cuschieri. The Saints equalised after 70 minutes. The Fgura defense was caught wrong footed and Kevin Vella received a good ball in the penalty area to beat Bianco.

The game opened up as the two sets of players kept forging to find a winner. Bianco again had to save to a corner a close range header. Four minutes from time Fgura got the decisive goal; Daniel Said worked a good ball in the midfield, released substitute Neil Hales down the right flank who’s cross was met by Nazzareno Abela, who’s first shot was blocked by the keeper but was first on the loose ball to net the 2-1.

The match was officiated by referee Mr. Duncan Sultana.