Six teams advance to GFA Cup quarter-finals

Six clubs reached the quarter-finals of the BOV GFA Cup as the competition kicked-off this weekend with the first round matches.

Victoria Hotspurs impressed most with a 15-0 win over Second Division side Zebbug Rovers. Nikola Vasilic was the hero for the Hotspurs with no less than eight goals.

Oliver Curmi opened the score on 19 minutes and nine minutes later, Vasilic doubled the score. Five minutes later, Vasilic scored the third goal and hardly a minute later, Rodney Buttigieg made it 4-0. Vasilic scored the fifth goal on the 38th and just before half-time, Michael Bezzina made it 6-0.

Within the first four minutes of the second half, Ferdinando Apap and Nikola Vasilic had already increased the lead to 8-0. Vasilic scored the ninth on the 55th and Daniel Farrugia the tenth on 68 minutes. Michael Bezzina added another on 74 minutes before Nikola Vasilic scored three in five minutes between the 77th and 81st, including a penalty on the 77th. Ferdinando Apap scored the fifteenth and final goal on 84 minutes.

In the next round, they face champions Xewkija Tigers who beat St. Laurence Spurs 6-2.

Daniel Bogdanovic put Xewkija ahead on 13 minutes and Dene Shields doubled the score just before half-time, adding another five minutes in the second half. Chris Camilleri increased the lead on 56 minutes before a penalty by Mambaye Boye on the 56th and a goal by William Barbosa on the 78th reduced the gap for the Spurs. However Chris Camilleri made it 5-2 on 79 minutes and Daniel Bogdanovic 6-2 three minutes from time.

Ghajnsielem secured a place in the next round after defeating Qala Saints 4-2. Charlon Tabone scored twice on 35 and 45 minutes to put the Blacks two goals ahead. Manuel Scerri reduced the gap three minutes in the second half but Tabone made it 3-1 on 53 minutes. Manuel Buttigieg converted a penalty for Qala on 62 minutes but Larry Buttigieg made it 4-2 eight minutes from time. In the quarter-finals, Ghajnsielem will be facing Gharb Rangers who defeated Munxar Falcons 3-1.

Three goals in the first twenty-eight minutes put Gharb 3-0 ahead thanks to Josef Portelli on the 9th, Frank Attard on the 20th and Stephen Apap on the 28th with Stefan Farrugia scoring a consolation goal twelve minutes in the second half.

A brace by Fernando de Andrade in the final six minutes enabled Sannat Lions to avoid extra-time as they beat Xaghra United 2-0 and set-up a quarter-final clash with First Division leaders Nadur Youngsters.

On the other hand, Kercem Ajax defeated SK Victoria Wanderers with a brace by Anderson Mendes Ribeiro on 71 and 91 minutes. They face Oratory Youths in the next stage.