Birkirkara girls move ten points clear

Birkirkara moved ten points clear in the BOV Women’s First Division as they defeated Hibernians 2-1 at the Centenary Stadium on Tuesday. This means that the Stripes need just three wins from the last six matches to secure the sixth championship in the history of the club.

Alishia Sultana put Birkirkara ahead on the 35th minute and Kelly Agius Pace doubled the scoer on the 62nd. Ylenia Carabott pulled one back for Hibernians ten minutes from time.

Mgarr United were held in a goalless draw by Raiders (Luxol) at the Charles Abela Stadium.

On Sunday, Kirkop United beat Gozo 6-1 at the Kercem Ajax Stadium. Liis Pello put Kirkop ahead after just 22 minutes. They doubled the score thanks to an own goal on the 35th and just before half-time, Melania Bajada pulled one back for Gozo. However seven minues in the second half, Liis Pello converted a penalty to make it 3-1. Demi Magrin made it 4-1 on the 66th. Seven minutes later, Liis Pello added another with Demi Magrin scoring a sixth goal two minutes from time.

This was the second defeat in a week for Gozo after losing 1-5 to Mgarr United in another match at the Kercem Ajax Stadium. Rebecca D’Agostino gave Mgarr the lead on the 1th minute and Chantelle Grech doubled the score five minutes from the end of the first half. Amber Grech made it 3-0 seven minutes in the second half and three minutes later, D’Agostino added another. Rebecca Vella scored a fifth goal for Mgarr on the 65th before Maria Farrugia reduced the gap on the 70th.

Swieqi United kept marching on in the BOV Women’s Second Division with a 3-1 win over Mosta at the Mgarr Ground thanks to goals by Rebecca Naudi on the 31st, Emma Moore on the 37th and Yolande Attard on the 40th with Kirsten Attard reducing the gap on the 71st.

In another match, Hamrun Spartans registered a fine 7-3 win over Kirkop United Team B at the Zebbug Ground. Beverly Abela put Kirkop ahead on the 6th minute but Aleksandra Marinkovic equalised on the 27th. Amanda Bezzina restored the lead for Kirkop on the 37th but Cristiane Ortiz was quick to equalise one minute later. Aleksandra Marinkovic put Hamrun ahead for the first time on the 41st minute but Yasmine Ciantar restored equilibrium seven minutes in the second half. However Cristiane Ortiz made it 4-3 for Hamrun on the 55th. Aleksandra Marinkovic scored twice on the 67th and 82nd with Ortiz scored a seventh goal one minute from time.