First defeat for champions Victoria Hotspurs

Champions Victoria Hotspurs suffered their first in the BOV Gozo Football League First Division as they lost 1-2 to Gharb Rangers on Sunday.

The Hotspurs were unlucky to miss two penalties as Elton da Silva had a first one neutralised by the goalkeeper on the 12th minute and another by Elton da Silva blocked by the goalkeeper aided by the crossbar. Marcelo Barbosa put Gharb ahead on the 57th minute and nine minutes later, Ardit Shkjau doubled the score with Emiliano Lattes reducing the gap on the 77th.

Ghajnsielem joined Gharb and Kercem Ajax in fourth place thanks to a 2-0 win over Kercem, courtesy of Joseph George Vella on the 51st and Luis Andre de Melo Lima on the 78th.

Xewkija Tigers scored a goal in stoppage time to stop SK Victoria Wanderers from claiming three precious points, holding them in a 1-1 draw on Saturday. Ryan Grech put the Wanderers ahead on the 38th with Halleson Thiago Barbosa Honorato equalising on the 93rd.

In another match, Nadur Youngsters beat Oratory Youths 5-3. Stanimir Miloskovic put Nadur ahead on the 9th minute but a brace by Ralph Ebube Okpokwu on the 10th and 12th put them 2-1 ahead. However Stanimir Miloskovic scored twice on the 48th and the 50th to make it 3-2 for Nadur. Ralph Ebube Okpokwu restored equilibrium on the 66th but Darko Krstic scored on the 69th and 87th to hand the Youngsters the three points.

Meanwhile Munxar Falcons and Sannat Lions maintained the challenge for promotion in the BOV Gozo Football League Second Division as they beat Zebbug Rovers and Qala Saints respectively.

Munxar beat Zebbug 6-1 thanks to goals by Mario Azzopardi (15′), Oliver Curmi (32′), Samwel Muscat (34′), Joseph Grima (45+1′), Michael Matthias Uzor (73′) and Jordi Parnis (84′) with Chris Borg reducing the gap on the 35th.

On the other hand, Sannat defeated Qala 3-0 thanks to goals by Daniel Borg on the 14th, Oliver Farrugia on the 31st and Joseph Zammit on the 42nd.

In another match, St Lawrence Spurs beat Xaghra United 2-0. Kenny Hili put the Spurs ahead on the 14th and Jason Theuma doubled the score three minutes later.