Gozo Football League resumes with Hotspurs making it three wins in a row

Following Gozo’s participation in the UEFA Regions Cup, the BOV Football League resumed this weekend with matches from both the First Division and Second Division.

Champions Victoria Hotspurs made it three wins in a row as they defeated Gharb Rangers 3-1 thanks to a third consecutive hat-trick by Elton Alexandre da Silva. Elton da Silva put them ahead on the 5th minute and doubled the score on the half-hour and although Hugo Santa Rosa Cruz pulled one back two minutes from the end of the first half, Elton da Silva converted a penalty on the 77th.

A goal by Aud-Gustine James Obaje on the 12th minute handed SK Victoria Wanderers a narrow win over Kercem Ajax in another match on Sunday. These were the first three points for the Wanderers, leaving Kercem at the bottom of the table without any points.

On Tuesday, Nadur Youngsters defeated Xewkija Tigers 2-1. Daniel Mateo Bustos scored twice on the 21st and 31st with Claudio Antunes Pavlidis reducing the gap on the 49th.

Munxar Falcons dropped their first points in a 2-2 draw with Ghajnsielem on Monday. Antoine Camilleri put the Blacks ahead on the 36th but Jhon Jairo Sandobal Guarin equalised on the 70th and Leiner Garcia Panesso made it 2-1 on the 84th. However three minutes later, Luis Andre De Melo Lima levelled matters for Ghajnsielem.

Meanwhile in the BOV Gozo Football League Second Division, Sannat Lions and Xaghra United shared the spoils in an entertaining 4-4 draw at the Kercem Ajax Stadium on Saturday. Johann Attard put Xaghra ahead on the 20th but goals by Ralph Ebube Okpokwu on the 27th and Charlon Tabone on the 35th and 42nd gave Sannat a 3-1 lead. Kenny Hili scored a second goal for Xaghra on the 59th and Samson Remi Gabriel equalised four minutes later. Five minutes from time, Sannat regained the lead through Joseph Zammit but a goal by Johann Bajada on the 93rd restored equilibrium.

In another match, Qala Saints defeated Zebbug Rovers 2-1. Joseph Buttigieg put Qala ahead on the 35th and Botshelo Gibson Mfuluane doubled the score on the 71st with Marcos Peres Vega scoring a consolation goal in added time.