Karl Micallef brace paves the way for Spartans

Karl Micallef scored twice as Hamrun Spartans defeated First Division side Swieqi United 3-1 at the Centenary Stadium on Sunday in a match from the fourth round of the FA Trophy.

The Spartans could have taken the lead on the 6th minute when Ailton Jorge Soares dos Santos was floored inside the area by Marc Attard but the striker from Cape Verde saw his effort from the penalty spot neutralised by goalkeeper Edward Gatt.

However, on the 17th minute, the Spartans forged ahead when off a cross by Matthew Gauci, Karl Micallef’s header hit the foot of the upright before ending at the back of the net.

Swieqi goalkeeper Edward Gatt was prominent with a number of saves – turning a Karl Micallef effort into a corner on the 45th and then blocking an Ailton Soares close range effort three minutes in the second half.

Karl Micallef doubled the score on the 63rd minute as he headed the ball home off a cross by Ailton Jorge dos Santos Soares from the left.

Roderick Taliana reduced the gap for Swieqi United on the 78th minute with a shot from the edge of the area which beat substitute goalkeeper Jean Claude Debattista.

However, on the 90th minute, Ailton Jorge dos Santos Soares served Nicola Leone from the right and the latter tapped the ball home from close range.

SWIEQI Edward Gatt, Marc Attard, Kyle Muscat (73’ Liam Grech), Kristian Sultana (42’ Shaun Bugeja), Alan Schembri Wismayer, Felipe Nunes Fernandes, Ibrahim Salis (70’ Tejumola Ebenezer Ayorinde), Melvin Farrugia, Josuel Azzopardi, Roderick Taliana, Dayle Borg.
Subs not used: Craig Abdilla, Fabien Lufi, Mako Ivanovic, Matheus de Albuquerque de Souza.
Coach: Rodney Bugeja

HAMRUN Manuel Bartolo (76’ Jean Claude Debattista), Alessio Capitelli, Conor Borg (85’ Kieran Higgans), Ailton Jorge dos Santos Soares, Matthew Gauci, Nicola Leone, Darren Borg (90+2’ Nikolai Micallef), Andre Scicluna, Karl Micallef, Valdo Alhino, Mattia Cinquini.
Subs not used: Soufiane Lagzir, Christopher Galea, Cain Cutajar, Miguel Tabone.
Coach: Manuele Blasi

Referee: Slobodan Petrovic
Assistant Referees: Edward Spiteri, Duncan Spencer
Fourth Official: Darryl Agius
Yellow Cards: Muscat, Capitelli, Leone