Izibet FA Trophy: Hibernians turn defeat into victory to secure place in semi-finals

Hibernians came from behind to beat Hamrun Spartans 2-1 after extra-time in the quarter-finals at the National Stadium on Saturday to secure a place in the semi-finals where they will be facing the winner of the match between Floriana and Birkirkara.

The Paolites, who had beaten Nadur Youngsters 2-0 and Zejtun Corinthians 2-1 in the previous two rounds conceded a goal mid-way through the first half but just before the break, they managed to equalise. With no goals being scored in the second half, the game went into extra-time and following a goalless first half of extra-time, Hibs notched the winner in the second half.

Photo: Copyright Andrew Grima

Hamrun took the lead on the 26th minute when off a cross by Joseph Mbong from the right, Ailton Soares headed home from close range.

Hibs levelled matters on the 45th minute when off a Jurgen Degabriele corner from the left, there was a short clearance by the Hamrun rear-guard and Alvaro Muniz Cegarra hit the ball in the foof of the net.

Hamrun were unlucky to hit the woodwork in the first half of extra-time and the Paolites notched the winner eight minutes in the second half of extra-time courtesy of Jake Grech who hit home from close range when served by Thaylor from the right.

HAMRUN Henry Bonello, Darko Gojkovic, Joseph Mbong, Ailton Jorge Soares (119’ Christian Mercieca), Arthur Oyama, Steve Borg, Franklin Sasere, Juan Carlos Corbalan (117’ Shaisen Attard), Predrag Djordjevic (81’ Luke Gambin), Isaac Ntow (64’ Faissal El Bakhtaoui), Emerson Marcelina.

HIBS Matthew Calleja Cremona, Leandro Almeida, Jurgen Degabriele (80’ Hugo Filipe da Costa Oliveira), Dunstan Vella (105’ Gabriel Izquier Artiles), Zachary Grech, Erjon Beu (72’ Thaylor Aldama), Joseph Zerafa, Andrei Agius, Alvaro Muniz Cegarra (86’ Jake Grech), Ali Diakite (105’ Ayrton Attard), Wilfried Domoraud.

Referee: Fyodor Zammit
Assistant Referees: Edward Spiteri, Duncan Spencer
Fourth Official: Malcolm Spiteri