Ghajnsielem beat Nadur after penalty shoot-out to reach GFA Cup quarter-finals

gozo-fa-new-logoFor the second time in a week, Ghajnsielem managed to beat Nadur Youngsters to reach the quarter-finals of the GFA Cup.

At the Sannat Ground, Chris Camilleri put the Blacks ahead on the 31st minute but Claudio Antunes levelled matters on the 51st. Alex Tramboo was sent off for Ghajnsielem but Nadur failed to take advantage. Three minutes in the first half of extra-time, Brandon Said put Nadur 2-1 ahead but Chris Camilleri equalised on the 112th minute. Two minutes later, Saviour Attard restored the lead for the Youngsters and although Ghajnsielem had another player – Kenneth Mercieca – sent off, Chris Camilleri levelled matters five minutes in added time at the end of the second half of extra-time.

The penalty shoot-out, therefore had to decide the issue with Claudio Antunes, Milos Stojanovic, Josef Buttieig, Charles Hili and Darko Stojanovic scoring for Nadur with Ronaldo da Silva and Saviour Attard’s efforts saved by the Blacks goalkeeper. On the other hand, Ghajnsielem scored through Chris Camilleri, Emiliano Lattes, Edison Bilbao Zarate, Ferdinando Apap, Alberto Xuereb and Antonio Xuereb with Damon Hili’s effort neutralised by the Nadur goalie.

In the next round, Ghajnsielem face SK Victoria Wanderers who defeated Second Division side Munxar Falcons in another match at the Sannat Ground on Saturday. Michael Mattias Uzor put the Falcons ahead on the half-hour when he converted a penalty but the Wanderers equalised through Aleksander Komljenovic on the 41st and a penalty by Milanko Raskovic two minutes later put SKVW ahead. Three minutes in the second half, Predrag Dordevic added another with Milanko Raskovic scoring a fourth goal two minutes later. Ian Xuereb made it 5-1 seven minutes from time.

On Friday, Kercem Ajax defeated St. Laurence Spurs 4-1 at the Kercem Ajax Stadium. Nelson Bahiya opened the score on the 14th minute and Trayo Grozev doubled the score five minutes from the end of the first half. Ognjen Rolovic made it 3-0 on the 66th and although Mohammed Senussi Telessi converted a penalty to reduce the gap on the 67th, Nathaniel Mercieca scored a fourth goal on the 75th.

In the next stage, they will be facing Xewkija Tigers.

Gharb Rangers defeated Zebbug Rangers 4-1 at the Kercem Ajax Stadium on Sunday to set up a clash with Victoria Hotspurs who beat Sannat Lions 4-2 in another match on Sunday.

Gharb took the lead thanks to a goal by Joseph Muscat on the 38th and although Ikechukwu Igwemeke equalised two minutes later, Justin Azzopardi made it 2-1 on the 56th, Saviour Attard 3-1 on the 88th and Paul Anthony Attard 4-1 on the 91st minute. On the other hand Victoria Hotspurs went two goals ahead courtesy of Louis Rene Zome on the 13th and Jonathan Bajada on the 40th and although Sannat made a good comeback thanks to Sunday Baala on the 44th and Mark Muscat on the 70th, the Hotspurs regained the lead thanks to Jason Portelli on the 77th and Shaun Attard sealed the issue with a penalty on the 94th minute.

Oratory Youths, who beat Xaghra United 3-0 at the Kercem Ajax Stadium on Friday thanks to a brace by Bartomeu Perello Palou on the 10th and 12th and Inigo Dolara on the 19th, will be meeting Qala Saints in the other quarter-final.